Saturday, August 12, 2006

Sermon Procrastination...

Sermon procrastination time!

So I’ll run the book meme—I’ve been meaning to do it anyway…

One book that changed your life: Faith and Fratricide, by Rosemary Radford Reuther. It made me really look at the real-world effects of our exegesis, and brought home, painfully, that our exegesis is not done in isolation. We can hurt others with our thoughts.

One book that you’ve read more than once: The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien. I used to spend every Christmas break, from age 13 or so through 20, reading it again.

One book you’d want on a desert island: Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs, by Cheryl Peck, probably. As others have said, I’d need something to laugh at. On the other hand, being isolated on a desert island might be a good time to work though Augustine’s City of God.

One book that made you laugh: Besides the above mentioned Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs (laugh-out-loud), I like David Sedaris. Anything by David Sedaris. He wrote a phonebook? I’ll read it.

One book that made you cry: Up a Road Slowly, Irene Hunt. More recently, King Hereafter, by Dorothy Dunnett. A powerful book about the man Dunnett thinks was the “real” MacBeth.


One book you wish you had written: Just about anything by Marge Piercy or Dorothy Dunnett. I wish I had their command of language and their knowledge.

One book you wish had never been written: It never existed, but people thought it did, with horrible consequences: The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. I wish it had never even been imagined. Another choice is A Hammer for Witches, the handbook of the Inquisition.

One book you’re currently reading: The Illustrated History of Canada. Growing up in Michigan, I learned Michigan history (I think we had a “unit” in every grade from K – 8th grade!), and a lot of our state history is intertwined with Canadian history; but there’s still a lot for me to learn!

One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Interior Castle, by Theresa of Avila. Also The City of God, by Augustine. I own both, they are sitting on my To-be-read shelf…

No comments:

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...